Friday, June 4, 2010

Day of Firsts


Joy of joys, today is a day of firsts.

It is my fist day in my new studio and my fist day writing this blog.

My studio is large and spacious; much like this page. My little portion of the studio it is at the back and slightly less large and spacious, but it is mine, and it is beautiful.

Since leaving St Martin’s, I have been meandering around my practice, languishing in the buttery landscapes and playfully rowing in boats and making sandcastles. My colleges and the galleries that represent me keep telling me to focus. To do one recognizable type of art…. It is good advice. I have nodded politely and continued to ignore them, zigzagging my way about my style. Doing what I liked, and learning what kind of artist I wanted to be.

But a funny thing has been happening recently. I have found myself staring into my pallet, like looking at a shimmering object at the bottom of the lake, unclear in the ripples. The point of my paintbrush has been rising up to pierce the surface.
I have connected the dots of my college theses, the work I make that I like the most, and the thing that keeps driving me to make art.

Although I do not know exactly where this is going, I know it is going to be a fun ride.


www.bernays.net

No comments:

Post a Comment